The completed Library Facilities Plan was adopted by the Kingston Frontenac Public Library Board on September 21, 2022.
KFPL engaged Monteith Brown Planning Consultants to develop a new Library Facilities Plan to renew the space-related vision for the Library. The plan will ensure that quality library facilities are provided over the next 20 years that respond to the emerging needs of both the urban and rural communities.
Community engagement during this project included a survey and open house events, and an opportunity to share feedback on the draft plan. Community feedback from the survey and open house events was considered alongside KFPL usage statistics, library facility condition reports, and best practices for libraries to develop the plan.
- the construction of Calvin Park and Sydenham branches;
- renovations of the Central, Cloyne, Plevna, Wolfe Island, Storrington, and Hartington branches;
- the opening of a new library branch in Rideau Heights; and
- development of library space attached to the fire halls in Parham and Mountain Grove.
The new Library Facilities Plan:
- Provides an approach to guide decisions and actions that will shape and guide the branches in the future;
- Assessed the community’s needs and ways for KFPL to address them;
- Provides a high-level assessment of the current state of existing facilities;
- Identified existing gaps and opportunities for library space;
- Developed short, medium and long-term capital improvement plans; and
- Identified appropriate alternatives to providing access to resources, including automated kiosks and shared spaces with other organizations
Questions can be directed to Kimberly Sutherland Mills, Director, Service Design and Delivery, at FMP@kfpl.ca or (613) 549-8888 x3520.